Monday, March 28, 2016

Update on Non-Toxic and Natural Makeup Brands

Since my February 10 post, I've done much more research on natural and non-toxic makeup brands. I'm focusing on makeup now, but when I run out of my Origins skincare samples, I'll venture into the nontoxic skincare products as well. Even though I know Origins is not technically a nontoxic company (see this beautypedia company post and this list of greenwashing companies by the Green Beauty Team), I can't bring myself to toss those samples. My parents raised me to not be wasteful. As soon as I finish them, I'm breaking up with Origins for good. I'm disappointed not only in the brand but in myself for not researching properly and trusting blindly. I admit I'm also not proud of the fact that I fell - hard - for the nature-friendly advertising - trees are my favorite objects in nature! I've been using Origins since the late nineties, albeit sporadically. Now I'm going to use makeup more, I'm much more careful what I put on my skin.

We must move on and not beat ourselves up, so I'm looking ahead and changing everything about my makeup and skincare. I have three children I love dearly and want to stay healthy and as toxic-free as possible. What I look for in a beauty company:

- natural, non-toxic ingredients avoiding at least 90% or all of these toxic ingredients
- products that work well
- not tested on animals
- aesthetically pleasing packaging
- not outrageously expensive (I will not pay $40 for a tube of lipstick.)
- no FD&C dyes

Disclaimer: I don't mind carmine. Yes, I know what it's made of. Doesn't bother me. If it did, I'd be a vegan and not eat jello either. I'm omnivorous and prepare jello about once a year in the summer.

In the last post, I wrote a list of non-toxic companies I was considering. Since then I've revised some, and have allowed myself a bit of leeway here and there. This week, I'm putting down a list of makeup products I currently own, and makeup brands I haven't tried yet but am eager to.


Makeup and beauty products I currently own and love:

  1. Pure Anada foundations and skincare products
  2. Red Apple Lipstick lipsticks (my favorite samples are Back to the Fuchsia and Hibiskiss)
  3. Silk Naturals vegan matte lipsticks (I own two - Marsala and Canoodle, both of which contain no FD&C dyes)
  4. Alima Pure's Honey Rose blush (so silky and beautiful - haven't tried their foundations yet, but I've read excellent things about them)
  5. Pacifica Midnight Smolder eyeliner gel


Makeup Brands I currently own and are hit-or-miss, either in performance or ingredients:

  1. Physician's Formula (ingredients - there are good choices, but you need to read labels carefully)
  2. Honeybee Gardens (performance - lipstick color way off from what's advertised and delicate consistency of lipstick - my first one broke off at the base on the first day I tried it. I'm receiving a replacement. The company has been very gracious about it.)

Makeup Brands I'm eager to sample from:

  1. Lily Lolo - especially the mascara and lipstick (Romantic Rose and/or Parisian Pink)
  2. Nudus (lipsticks - especially 27 Kisses and/or Just Like Jade)
  3. Au Naturale lipstick
  4. Inside and Out organic lipsticks (ordered a box of samples here)

I don't think I'm going to try Lotus anymore. Something about the advertising and I don't know.. Just don't trust something about this company. The ingredients seem to be a bit elusive as well. It's just a gut feeling, nothing else. Let me know if Lotus works for you in the comments!

I don't feel the need for Zosimos Botanicals' products right now, especially with two nice lipsticks from Silk Naturals, but I'll keep them in mind for the future if the need arises. I have to say there are only two of the Silk Naturals lipsticks I'd get, as the rest either don't match my skintone or have FD&C dyes if you are concerned about that.

Do you see any of your favorites? Any natural makeup brands and products you'd like to try? Is there a brand you think I should take a look at? Let me know in the comments.

No comments: